Friday, January 31, 2014

Here there be dragons... kinda


Sorry I’m so late everyone, and by everyone I mean the people that drift in and out, I’m finally getting a chance to sit down and get this review out.   So I, like all small children had a dream, my dream was to make monsters.  I wanted, with every little beat of my heart to design those little things that seem to go bump in the night so loudly that you hide under your blanket and pray for day light.  Naturally, I became a book keeping mom.  That’s close right?!  So when Syfi put forth the series Face Off I was giddy, and then I watched it… To date it has been a total hit and miss for me, there are nights where I want to cry, it’s so beautiful, but most night I want to scream “What the fuck are you thinking?!”  Tuesday night was no exception.

                                                                                                                                     

We open with the prospect of the season’s first individual challenge.  I’m actually really excited that we are moving out of team challenges; it allows each person’s work to flourish or fail.  This week we are doing dragons.  Normally the “ren faire” geek in me would squeal with unbridled passion; however I have never truly been too much of a dragon fan.  True, they are huge scaled beasts of perpetual scaled, and fiery awesome in theory, that theory does not translate well as a monster makeup.  As a CGI or maybe an animation you don’t worry about things like weight or physics, in a limitless world everything is possible in the makeup game, you just have to make it look like anything is possible (without ya know, breaking the laws of gravity, physics, nature in general).   The twist on these dragons is that they breathe other things besides fire like Ice, slime, acid, sand blah blah blah the explanation of the challenge never really thrills me.  What I did like however is that they used “Point Doom” to give out the challenge.  Now this is a famous spot for a few movie shots but the one that made my heart go pitter-pat is that it is the scene backdrop of the last scene of the original Planet of the Apes film.  Here are my props to you Face Off for your use of epic location!

 

So off we go with our inspirations of crazy scaled goodness, most of the creatures looking like human lizard hybrids on paper (muy disappointing).  This crop of monster masters really seem to not be getting that the first day needs to be a firm step into the molding room.  It’s only week three right?

 

So right away there is a major blunder/sin/boo boo what have you, with Tess brilliantly sculpting only half the face for her quilled disaster.  Now she gets to play catch up with the other side and try to make it seamless, good lick with that.   Chloe seems to be very unconfident this week, where is my sculptor from the first week?  This week she has a mold debacle and only has a head.  Nicko’s chest breaks apart as he attempts to remove it, safe to say everyone’s got molding issues this week.  Everyone Tyler who as he puts last touches out decides “hey I’ve got time, I’ll just sculpt the best wing profile ever in the history of this show… no biggie.”  The models enter to be dressed and Chloe is scrambling to paint as Tess freaks out about her broken leg pieces.  These two should never work together unless it’s being filmed for biggest whiners. 

 

Chloe decides to cover half her makeup in rags and doesn’t paint any of the back then drapes fabric all over the model.  It’s a sea horse in a dress really.  I have never been so disappointed in someone with beautiful hair in my life.  Let’s just entitle the whole episode “How Chloe fails”, or even better “Sand Blasted Sea Horses Caught in a Net of Ugly Green Chiffon…” the first on is probably best…

 

Tyler’s looks amazing, if you define amazing as a frozen turkey buzzard.  Literally, it looks like a lizard mated with a buzzard on a glacier and the baby spits ice.  The wing span and construct was pretty cool though.  I think he looked to the skessis for inspiration.

 

Tess turned in a purple, quilled Halloween project from a high school larper.  You can see where the face was applied, there is no caul, the model’s hair is sticking out of the back of this oddly built feather headband.  I don’t even want to begin to understand where it was going.

 

Tanner turned in an angry red frog, with big chunks of rock coming out of odd angles.  What got to me was that the bright yellow eyes were lop sided.  It was a cool build, decently painted, and presented effectively, but that run away eye killed it.

 

Rashad’s tarred beast seems to take up the stage.  No really, shits big.  I was impressed that he built up the individual scales.  I think that it shows his versatility to work in differing mediums and gives him a chance to display all his skills.  He makes up for his lack of experience with his ability to learn and utilize many differing processes.  Then he goes and gives it the worst under-bite in history…  Good job bud… *Face palm*

 

Niko is a no go, picture a naked mole rat screwed a porcupine and they had a terracotta pot colored baby.  That’s all you can really say.  There was effort in the sculpt, but for the over work the rest just resisted coming together at all.

 

Matt, I have no words.  It was a cone head with scales.  That’s all.

 

Grahm I was completely against, I can admit that.  In my defense he presented the idea that he was going to build a slime-dog-lizard-bull-blegh, whatever that meant.  I kept yelling “Man bear pig!”  What he presented was horrifyingly awesome.  The slime, the puss sacks, the green sick color… oh look it’s lunch time J.

 

George, who should have gone home last week!  Dear, sweet George gave us a red and black view of hell this week.  He wanted to embrace a hell, and fire, but I don’t know if it’s just me but all it did was ring in as demon.  Awesome looking demon, and in some cultures they may be the same, but a dragon that was not.

 

Daran’s acid spitting thing shall be filed under reasons to never wear fur pants.  The concept was there but the execution clearly was lacking.  I would have gone more into bone details, the bottom jaw just looks unfinished.  Try better next week man!

 

Daniel’s slime sea creature, because nothing about that had anything to do with a dragon, just made life un-comfy with too much bright yellow and time spent on sculpting what looked like fur-feather scales.  To clash completely he dressed her in a tacky floral kimono with no base in any realm of dragon.  This saddened me because the drawings had huge fins added to the face that would totally help. 

 

Corinne’s monster/ dragon disaster looked like it was a punk rock character from the show Dinosaurs, and if you don’t know that show look into it on Net Flicks.  The Mohawk of spiked weirdness sitting atop an oddly shaped head just hurts…

 

Cat had my vote this week; I’m a sucker for ice and sex.  She brought forth a beautifully ice sickled dragon slice of sex appeal.  Then I looked closer, the blending will bleed your eyes.  So wrong… The coat was amazing though, so you know there’s that.

 
In the end Tyler clenches a win with his amazing winged profile and Daniel is sent packing for his lock of anything remotely dragon, and poor taste in kimonos.  I sure hope the idea of getting worse before it gets better ends its stride with this episode.    


Gallery of the dragon flops

No comments:

Post a Comment