Monday, February 3, 2014

Another noms review

We kicked off dinner tonight with a new product, at least to me that is, by rockstar.  It's the rockstar sparkling energy cherry citrus.  This is a zero sugar, zero calorie drink with"natural caffeine."  The caffeine is derived from green coffee beans.

I will say this the first few sips were extremely crispy.  The bubbling spring of nom nom nom didn't disappoint.  Unlike my tradition sugar free rockstar, this blue can of awesome kept it's fizz.  Another huge contrast is the lack of smell.  Most of my rockstar drinking experience there has always been a strong, sweet stench that reminds my mother of a medication... What medication she doesn't know but still a medication.  The sparkling energy has a sweet scent but, it doesn't linger.

As for the taste, the sparkling energy is pretty sparkly.  The carbonation was so strong that the bubbles were almost anoying as they seem to block flavor at first.  Once I overpowered the bubbles, the flavor was very light but more citrus than cherry, seeing as I love cherry this was a bust.

All in all if you like the sugar free line, this is a cleaner option... But it's still soda.


Moving on to the meal... I settled on another lean cuisine honestly good, what can I say? I had a sick three year old...

So this was the pomegranate chicken recipe.  A whole chicken breast, pomegranate glaze, green beans, yellow beans, ribbon cut carrots, and a whole grain pilaf with currants on a plate of yum.  This obviously turned out better than my beef experiment.


First the chicken was juicy and tender, almost falling apart on the fork.  The sauce, and I'm no fan of pomegranate, was a bit too sweet.  It was almost candy like which was sad because the chicken really was a nicely prepared cut.

The vegetables were fresh tasting and the yellow beans were a pleasant addition to the traditional carrot and green bean medley.  They were in need of a seasoning but after a few bites of the sweet sauce the bland beans were a welcome change.

The pilaf and currants, well they end up dredged in the candy sauces and feels like a clunky starch shoved under the chicken.

Now I have to admit it was pretty good, but as far as good for you?  The beef dish gets the upper hand.  This has 9 grams of fat and 390 cal, but the killer is 19 grams of sugar.  Even with 23 grams of protein the huge counts of carbs just seem to blast any hope of a truly good meal.  Bummer... Still better than a burger and fries.  
 


No comments:

Post a Comment