Wednesday, May 7, 2014

From another planet: A Jim Henson Creature Shop Challenge Recap


This week in the creature shop we join our top four creators, who are both excited and stressed with a spot in the top, and final three hanging in the balance.  Everyone is taking it to heart, and in very different ways.  The most notable reaction to the position is Ben.  Now, I like Ben and believe he is insanely talented; however he has a real problem with failure and critique.  You need to be okay with both in the arts.  In the first half of the episode all he wants to do is sulk about his bottom finishing “boldermunch” and it’s hard to feel bad for him because in the last episode’s first half he was sulking about Melissa’s win.  All in all, I think he listened closely to the idea of “If you aren’t first you’re last.”

This week’s challenge was a multiphase piece that required the designers to first create an alien and then an outer housing that works as a disguise for the alien.  So basically, an alien within an alien, in three days, no problem, oh and they must be mechanized and be able to reveal on camera.  I swear, when they said they were going to make them work for it, they were not kidding, especially when you have people like Melissa, who had no previous experience with a mech before now creating blinks and shifts.  I’m so beyond proud of her.

The person completely struggling in the shop this week was Jake, and this really was too bad because I like Jake and his want to be more cerebral in his approach.  His problem lies in his execution, and I think it comes from having a finished product and then trying to work back a story instead of designing the backstory and building off of that.  This week’s alien was no exception.  First the shell’s face was way too small for the opening, and although the judges didn’t say anything about it, I caught glimpses of the alien inside before the reveal.  Now, not to say that it was a bad piece, the mouth and eyes were quite lovely actually.  He used a kind of flat black on the eyes which really sold the other worldly appeal and the pallet on the inside really helped with the character, however it read as too much time on small nuances and not enough on the picture as a whole.

Robert’s alien was by far my favorite this week.  I really think that he brought the challenge home with the amount of finishing that was put into both phases of the character.  The outside of the alien looked in no way human, and really that’s what I want sometimes, I don’t want to feel like all life is shaped like it is on our planet.  But, when the head opened, if you are familiar at all with Farscape… The alien was a tug on the heart strings!  It really was its own little personality that gave you a sense that there was attitude and life.  The accessories alone made me smile, as he just won me over completely.

Melissa’s adorable creation came with the plus of a well hidden head.  I love her fabrication techniques and her ability to craft a well thought out plan in fabrics and raw materials.  Also, her paints are stunning.  Still there were a few issues and those really hurt her in the strong turn out this week.  The biggest, was that her alien seemed to have a floating head in such a wide opening.  It really would have benefited from some kind of shoulder or perhaps a narrower opening.

As for Ben, the real whinner of the week, I really didn’t like his design until it came closer and I got a second look at the show.  Sometimes you just have to watch it again to really appreciate the work that someone has put into a creature piece.  The color is what put me off the most I thiunk, it read so dark and yet just dingy and gross, and not in a good way.  Still, his sculpt in the articulated mouth and the paint job on the eyes actually made this a top contender and in the end his fully puppet-ed mouth assured him another victory.
Sadly, this is a week I hate because you have to say good bye to someone talented and this week we say toodles to Jake.  While I think he has a prosperous future in the industry, I do believe that the right decisions were made and am happy about the top three.  I can’t wait for the finale next week, Go Melissa!       

No comments:

Post a Comment