Tuesday, May 13, 2014

In the mix: A trail mix review Bag 1


Yes, as you may know by now if you read this blog, I have many obsessions from make up to tea. 
One of my strongest compulsions however is trail mix.  That’s right I love a bag of tasty morsels made for travel.  The reason?  Well there are so many different types and ingredients aren’t there?  I mean there are mixes for the sweet and savory, for spicy tastes as well as bland.  The ingredients themselves are as varied as the flavors the mixes come in.  So in an effort to explore the many combinations available I have decided to catalog my tastings… that and I try so many I tend to forget which packets taste the best.

Our first bag is the “Handful of Everything,” by Archer Farms.  Yes, we are starting with a Target brand, have you ever been down the aisle?  It’s glorious, truly.  This mix is on the sweeter side mostly containing sweetened dried fruits and yogurt covered nuts along with chocolate chips.  Still it balances out nicely with raw almonds and coconut shavings that give it a warm kind of flavor.

I do wish they had roasted the almonds or added a touch of salt, but if they are trying to sell a “healthier” product so raw nuts are not to strange.  As far as the sweetened fruit goes the cranberries give a wonderful punch but I find the apricots cumbersome and hard to eat.  The banana chips are a nice touch though and give the mix a really good finish.   
This strikes me as a mid-day snacking, while on some sort of hike mix, although, I don’t see it being the number one choice given the melt able chocolate.  Still it was an excellent place to start, and gives me hope that the mix “mecha” that is the aisle in Target is a great jumping off point.

No comments:

Post a Comment