Friday, April 11, 2014

Why I am a Bolton: What house do you belong to?


One of my biggest passions is A Song of Fire and Ice which is the base for the smash hit A Game of Thrones.  Being an ex-renaissance faire enthusiast and SCA member as well as a silver in clan Drum Thunder, anything that’s old world and mystic appeals to my tender heart, but what really sold it for me was the characters that Martin wrote into his world.  Particularly, House Bolton.
Known for its cryptic words, “Our Blades are Sharp,” and sigil of a flayed man, the Bolton’s pride themselves on being the cruel torture driven house of Westros.  So, why do I love them?  How could I choose this twisted, blood thirsty house of the power hungry Lannisters or the noble Starks?   Simple, they are who they are.  They do not hide their nature under the guise of honor or ceremony.  From the first encounter, until they are skinning you alive they are never false in their intensions.  Now, may will point out Rooses hand in the red wedding, his willingness to draw in Katlynn and Rob to their demise, shows that he is willing to hide his nature.  However, consider this, Roose may have known it was a trap but, it was the Starks arrogance that truly led to their undoing.  To believe that everything would be okay just because you say sorry, if you ask me it was Rob that put them in their own graves.  Lord Bolton simply plays his hand according to what is at stake for his own house.  If you plan to survive you must look at the risk and when Rob betrayed Walder it was clear that the Starks were blind to the betterment of their own banner men.  This is a risk that needed to be removed if Lord Bolton is going to see the Dreadforte survive this power play, so it isn’t about breaking loyalty when your leader wants to march you into extinction.
Another wonderful trait is they never forget offense, and when called upon to solve a problem, you can bet your ass, they will solve it.  In fact not only will they solve it, but they will stop it from ever coming back.  They are not afraid to use everything at their disposal to make sure that nothing gets in the way and their enemies become warnings.
In spite of this ruthlessness and strength, they still understand that being the head means people will always be trying to cut you off.  Essentially they become, almost like a neck.  They lend support to the strongest and guide it to and fro and without their support a head cannot control the body.  These are all traits that I do pride myself on, whether or not anyone else believes them to be positive.  I know what I am, much like the Bolton’s.  I know to whom I am loyal and I face her every day when I look in the mirror.         

No comments:

Post a Comment