Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Warriors in Ink: An Ink Master Recap


After last week’s major blow out we regroup for another episode of Spike TV’s Ink Master, the whiniest season ever!  What’s amazing is where they ended up for the flash challenge as the artists are herded into a boxing gym to meet Brandon Rios and create a custom grill that embodies the boxer and his image.  Let me go right out there and say it, these things are ridiculous to me.  I mean it seems like such a waste and then to have to engrave one seems kind of remedial but, I’m not the one making challenges.

 

Each artist set to work to make the most detailed piece they can for “Bam Bam’s” seven front teeth.  I’m sure you can read my resentment at the obscurities of grills.  Each of the artists set to work and thankfully they really tried for uniqueness, unfortunately it’s the uniqueness that really killed a few of the designs like Matti’s Aztec garbage and Sausages odd lettering.  In the end it was Scott’s full gold grill that won the challenge, even though I don’t really see what’s so detailed about block letters and one diamond. 

 

With Scott handing out sculls again, well we all know that Sausage is going to get shafted, however it’s Gentle Jay that really gets the short straw with a difficult client.  This week’s challenge is the test of detail as each artist is asked to tattoo a warrior.  A warrior is one of the best examples of detail given their armor, weapons, posture and muscle structure and now it is up to the remaining six to bring these canvases some kick ass tattoos.

 

Gentle Jay’s client was being portrayed as a difficult client but, I am not sure about that.  Gentle Jay was in no way perceptive to the wants of his client and constantly asserted that because it was a free tattoo he needed to shut up and just let him do what will win.  You have to understand that, although this is a competition the client is still a human and deserves to be listened to and respected.  All the client was looking for was reassurance that Jay was listening to what he wanted, which he was clearly not.  Now, if Jay actually had a track record for solid work then maybe I can see him taking the reins but, if you look back at each piece, he clearly lacks the ability and that anger shows through in his piece.  Everything in that Spartan looking warrior was off, the helm looked misshapen the background was beat to hell, the trees looked like gnarled lines of nothing.  All around his piece matched his attitude, piss poor.  Now, the commercial did promise us that Jay may have uncovered tracing… take a look at the next post because I need more room for that fiasco.

 

Joining Jay in the weaker end of the spectrum was Melissa.  I actually like Melissa, her presence is uplifting, however I just don’t see ink master in her right now.  This Aztec warrior women, is slowly changing my mind.  I loved it!  I thought she was beautiful and striking with a hint of battle worn sexiness but, I did see a few flaws in placement.  I can see why she chose to shift the hugely detailed headdress over just a bit but it did look a little confusing, and the darkness in the nose was strong but I have a feeling that after it heals it will be a beautiful piece.  Well done.

 

Next we have Sausage who put out another solidly beautiful piece this week.  Now, as far as a warrior, she was strong and convied power and might.  The beading and feathers as well as the splash of red paint put in a lot of great details.  As far as a woman, she needed a little help.  She was bulky and over muscular, but the biggest flaw was the need to elongate the arm just a little bit so that it gave her more shape.  Still, a very beautiful piece; proof that his bedside manner, in this industry, really should become a cornerstone.

 

Halo shined through this week, everything that Jay’s Spartan wasn’t, Halo made sure his was.  I really loved this piece.  The buckles in the armor was so well placed and designed to flow along the body, what was not however, was the shield.  The way it was placed on the warrior’s arm seemed to be lacking in the display of the body itself.  Maybe if he had extended it or placed it further on the arm… I’m not sure.

 

Scott chose the Samurai for himself this week and opened a can of worms with Jay, but more about that later.  First the tattoo itself is great, as long as you do not look at the Samurai.  His horse is absolutely amazing looking and gives it a really strong presence.  The warrior looks dark and somewhat smashed together.  It’s like a Samurai turtle!

 

Finally our winner this week was Matti, with a full color Viking.  He was the only one to do full color this week which was a huge risk but, apparently one that was a good idea for the judges.  I can’t say that I agree at all with this decision.  The tattoo looks cartoonish and to me doesn’t really depict anything that I don’t see in comic books.  True Vikings never wore the horned hats and it drives me crazy when I see on because it’s just ridiculous.  I think he won because of color and that’s the only reason…

 

So who went home?  Well there’s your surprise this week kiddies!  Despite his bad behavior and making an ass of himself they keep Gentle Jay and Melissa who both were looking at the block in an effort to keep this competition strong.  I really think it’s because they realized they needed more episodes than they had people.  Good night everybody!

No comments:

Post a Comment