Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Face Off Get's Animated!


This week Face Off sent us a big Konichiwa from the land of the rising son.  The remaining contestants hop on a plane and fly off to Japan, how exciting!  So, because we all know how much we as a society like watching people’s vacation footage, the first 10 minutes of the episode was dedicated to showing a shocked group walking through the bustling streets of Tokyo pointing at every “weird” thing they can find.  Oh my god another culture!  Oh my god they have different stuff here!  Oh my god, wait… there’s Hello Kitty…  Okay yea, I’m bitter because I want to go to Japan, I’ll admit it.

After I watch them get to live some of my dream, but I’m not bitter, the group is lead to a tranquil temple setting that is right out of a story book.  Being greeted by a performance of taiko drums they make their way to judge Mackenzie and special guest judge Kazuhiro Tsuji.  Mr. Tsuji is an industry leader as far as special effects goes and is known for his work on Planet of the Apes, Looper and The Curious Case of Benjamin Button.  He has been long since regarded as an industry standard and a credit to his craft… That’s why he’s on season 6 right?  So what’s on the menu for the foundation challenge?  Oni!  No we aren’t having a sushi lunch; we are making traditional Japanese demon spirits.  Known for their bright colors and use of hard angles, horns, many eyes, teeth and just all around disproportioned features the Oni have long since been regarded with both fear and wonder by the Japanese.  The challenge is to create an Oni in a matter of 4 hours that embodies the ideas of an Oni mask.

What comes of the challenge?  Well first I have to say it’s becoming painfully obvious that Daren hates the human eye.  He never wants his actor’s eyes to show in any way, and he takes the liberty once again of trying to hide them with a total of 4 eyes and an unpleasant sad mouth over biting with sever pointy teeth.  Corrine turns in another stunning paint job, however even more so I want to take a moment to complement her on her use of prosthetics to create the had angles in her demons face.  The horn coming from the chin as well gave a brilliant focal point in the facial construction.  The others seem to find their way around the mediocre, and in the end Daren clenches immunity in the win.

As for the spot light challenge, this week we dive into the amazingly bright and bold world of Anime!  Yes, my heart skipped a beat.  But, wait, there’s more… It must be a representation of self and they get to have help and advice from anime master Hidetka Tenjin when they sit down to lunch at the @home café in amazing Akihbara.  Okay, back up… they get to go to Japan, fine.  They get to do anime characters, cool.  But, you are going to send them to the famous Anime district to a cosplayer themed restaurant… I want to die.  My dreams are literally mocking my through a TV.  The kawaii waitresses, the beautiful fabrics, the adorkable bentos… I wanted to cry and barf rainbows of jealousy.

So now infused with plans to build their own images in anime and clay the team sets to work.  First major issue, Chloe and Corrine seem to be making the same freaking idea.  Okay, true in anime the girls all look very similar with the large eyes and strange proportions but goodness… Next is the “what in the world” is Graham making?  He wants to go with a half plant monster idea but maybe less would be best.  Then again Niko’s uninspired simple design makes me wonder if these people have ever seen an anime before in their lives.  Oh wait George’s riff on Dragon Ball Z totally lets me know he has.  George struggles with his chosen armor design, as Tyler builds a literal hair helmet… That looks surprisingly good on Rashad, who is channeling square soft.  All in all there isn’t too much sculpting drama going on in this episode, maybe they left Japan with a lot of Zen.

In last looks, it is George and Graham who are panicking to put together their master pieces and all I can say, is that as an anime fan, this is so not looking good at all!

Reveal stage:

Chloe:  I’m sorry I thought this was an anime competition, what she created could be considered reminiscent of perhaps a cheap themed sex doll.  She clearly does not have the talent to stay but, for some god awful reason keeps slipping through the cracks.  Speaking of cracks, you can see every seam in that face, the eyes look ugly and awkward.  The nose is almost pinched out of nowhere and the hair is ridiculous.  If you are going to do the wild hair that an anime girl requires, then take the time to do it right or do not do it at all.    Even her props look cheap, just somewhat altogether like she gave up, which makes me question why she is still in the competition at all.

Corrine:  Where Chloe absolutely failed, Corrine puts up a cohesive beautiful character.  She is smooth, bright and reminiscent of the kawaii personality of an anime girl character.  The hair is bright and ratted high but smooth on the outside, the eyes are reflective and the lashes give her depth.  The enlarged bosom and tight fit to the waist gives an amazing nod to the unreal quality of anime (that I do not embrace but admit that it’s there).  Even her accessories give her a playful element that embraces and embodies the joy of the medium.  Yeah!

Daren:  Now he has immunity, what does he do with it?!  Blows your mind, that’s what!  He has gone with a fish man creation complete with koi swimming around the characters head.  The district realism in the initial face blew me away, I felt like I was really looking at a fish.  The only not I had was at first I wanted more color in the face, however I think it would have detracted from the detailed scale and paint jobs on the swimming koi.  All in all it was truly amazing, I’m thinking that when he’s on… he’s on, but Daren needs to find consistency.

George:  This was an armored nightmare attempt at a Dragon Ball Z knock off.  There’s no other way to put that, I mean you can see all the strokes of paint and cracks where he needed more time.  Not good this week, not good at all.

Graham:  This is a hot mess straight out of FLCL and not in a good way.  There really isn’t a lot good going on but, I do give credit for a great fabrication of the goggles on this mad scientist, half plant nightmare.  Graham has an amazing talent for the weird, but on this challenge he needed to reign it in just a little bit.

Niko:  Niko went safe, small and kind of really boring.  It had really tall wacky hair, and high cheek bones… yeah I just made an “eh” noise and shrugged my shoulders… I’m sorry.

Rashad:  It’s like cloud fucked a clown and stole the gun blade.  Yes I went there.  The extreme colors of red and yellow in the hair makes it so bizarre that you almost miss the angular face and weird accessories.  Good enough to pass dude.

Tyler:  Oh my little bundle of energy with plastic hair.  This way middle of the road at best.  The hockey glasses that look almost cut out of paper seem to detract a bit from the awful hair, but we all get there eventually.  It makes me sad.  Still he does look like an anime character brought to life, even if he has 4 arms.

As for the judge’s selections, this is one of those episodes where I can see where the judges are coming from but I still think its crap.  They decide that as far as top looks are concerned it’s all about Daren and Corrine.  Not to surprise there, both creatures were beautiful makeups.  What really did upset me was that Chloe escaped the bottom.  Every week she exposes her jugular in just how untalented she really is and it’s like the judges just do not see it.  Instead they pick George’s rough armor and George’s hot house hodgepodge as the bottom two.

Now both were justifiably bad, however I think Chloe’s fuck doll was worse.  Still the judges decide it is Graham who will be cut from tonight’s challenge.  A disappointed Graham seems to want to collapse until he is told he is going to be this season’s “save.”  Thank god for the new rules right?!  Good for you Graham, we will see you next week in what appears to be a mad scientist challenge… wait that doesn’t bode well for little Graham.   


The Gallery

         

No comments:

Post a Comment