Wednesday, March 12, 2014

My Big Fat Geek Wedding: Making single geeks hopeful.


So after ripping our faces off last night the SyFy channel unleashed its first look at a possible series My Big Fat Geek Wedding.  The premise of the show is that it will follow a couple around as they plan and put out elaborate weddings based on their ultimate fandoms.  A full hour of my night last night was devoted to geeks in love. 

Now as a devastatingly single mom with fandom issues of my own I was both delighted and depressed.  It’s true that someday I want to get married and have my own little slice of Westros, I want to set up a dread fort of my own and belt out let it go as I clean my house with the aide of my animal friends while my husband slaves away in the ogre wars.  However, this wedding was such a cross of so many fandoms that I felt like all we needed was zombies and chocolate covered bacon served by the doctor to make it a cliché.

I’m all for large weddings but our love birds Julian Roman and Mandie Bettencourt take the art of themed wedding to a level I have yet to see.  Working closely with Kristin Banta, a famous wedding planner to all things interesting a new the couple ties the knot after an 8 year courtship in what could only be described as a “happening in middle earth.”

Set at a castle in Hollywood the wedding included a costume tent for the “mundane” to adorn themselves in period fashions, a large feast hall, thrones, stilt walkers and fire performers and that was only the icing to a truly fandom cake.  Mid ceremony Khal Drogo made an appearance to take the bride back to the Dothraki horse tribe but was fought off by Legolas and the groom.  See what I mean by a happening?  In exchange for sparing the Khal’s life the union was blessed with their very own dragon.  Girlfriend where were you registered?
The reception really was beautiful as the bride's mother was remembered and she was delighted when her somewhat conservative father joined in the revelry.  The bridesmaids gave a passionate speech about being lucky to find each other because all us geeks feel alone.  Probably, because a lot of the fan community makes it that way, but it was a sweet tear soaked gesture.  The couple seems truly happy and I have nothing but wishes of luck to the two of them.

All in all it was a great show of geek love but, I couldn’t bring myself to vote for it due to my lack of interest in watching other people get married.  However, the option to vote does make it feel like I do have some power so, thanks SyFy.     

No comments:

Post a Comment