Wednesday, March 26, 2014

These tattoos are super: An ink master recap


So everyone’s in a hype about the new X-Men movie because this week, right after Face Off does mutations (see my blog for a recap J), Ink master join’s in with actual X-Men Tattoos!  The geek in me is very pleased with this development.  What does not please me is the apparent lack of skill and finesse of this year’s crop of artists.  I had high hopes for a lot of these professionals but, it seems like every week there are only 4 that really shine leaving everyone else to scramble to stay above the bottom.  Also, the introduction of Top tattoo sending an elimination vote, is making this more about the “honorable” vs “the people out to screw everyone.”  Personally I’m on team “screw everyone” simply because it’s a completion.  These people are not your friends, they are all in your way from you getting 100,000.00, and I don’t know about you… But, I could totally use that money.

So kicking it off into the flash challenge this week, host Dave Navarro informs the “inkster’s” that this week they will be working on precision.  Precision in the tattoo world is using strong lines and design to replicate an object and give a definite picture as to what the tattoo is supposed to be.  Basically, this week they are looking for attention to the ultimate details that make an exact and clear image.  How are we going to test this?  This week’s flash challenge is to do a “super powered” inspired tattoo in three hours.

The results of the flash challenge leave little to be desired, with Scott trying to pass a black eagle off as a raven and Roland’s “dripping pizza slice” like cheetah spots; it is up to Matti to take the win and control of handing out the skulls at the elimination challenge.  To be fair he did produce a solid hammer but, in my opinion Bubba’s tree of immortality clearly demonstrated more precision.  Funny side note, the close up on Scott made him look like he was about to cry, seriously I have seen my 3 year old make that face… Still, Matti now has to decide whether to screw over the people who have screwed him or to take the high road.  Kyle showed a bit of spineless ness disguised as crappy attempts at a cunning assault by trying to hint that Matti needs to sand bag Scott.  Really Kyle?  That never works out in the long run for you; I would just focus on producing something solid.

This week’s elimination challenge:  Colored portraits of the X-Men.  So, not only do you need skills in the art of precision to just be accurate, you are charge with tattooing some of the most recognizable characters in all of fandom.  Matti gets to work handing out skulls and it’s quickly apparent that he went the screw you route.  Stacking some of the harder tattoos into the hands of the least talented tattooer’s in a clear attempt to sink the bottom of the lowest hanging fruits.  The interesting mash up?  There are two wolverines, and Matti decides to use them to go toe to toe with Scott.  With such an iconic character on the line, this could either go really well for them or ultimately, very wrong.

Now before I get into my notes for the individual tattoos I want to take a moment to express how disappointing someone’s behavior last night was.  I’m talking about Sausage’s attempt to call out Kyle.  Now, normally I’m all for calling people out on their shit, and yes Kyle has been a little whinny about the judge’s decisions (which Nunez admits he is hard on him to push him to his full potential).  Still knowing these facts I cannot excuse Sausage for trying to step up to Kyle.  Just last week Sausage whined the Scott stacked the deck in his favor at skull distribution.  He threw a huge bitch fit claiming that it wasn’t honorable and whined that Scott was being a coward because he is playing to win.  I just think it’s ridiculous how in one breath you chastise another player for complaining about the judges and then in the next you complain about another contestant.

To the notes:

Gentle Jay:  The subject was young professor X.  What showed up was an over worked and partially beaten mess.  There was no real accuracy to pick from, each piece seemed to be a slightly tweaked version of the original and the nose and forehead wrinkles really bothered me.

Jim:  I still hate this guy, and every week he reminds me more and more of my son’s father… Hell even my mom can see it now.  All of that aside, the color of this tattoo for one is so soft that it already looks faded.  I don’t even want to know what this thing will look like in 5 years let alone 10.  The details aren’t crisp and it seems kind of muddled.

Bubba:  Okay so Mystique in the movies is drop dead sexy.  So please, tell me why you made her look like a lollipop headed alien.  The hair and the forced shine just killed any hope for this disturbing view of a gorgeous character.

Melissa:  Melissa got Bishop, and her canvas seemed determined to screw her out of any detail.  In short it was her wise choice to bring in Halo’s opinion that clearly saved this piece for her.  It was a well done middle of the pack piece.

Halo:  Now here is a man who clearly knows what it is to do a color portrait.  His rendition of Rouge was damn near flawless and should have been recognized as a clear contender for tattoo of the day.  Clearly Halo knows his shit.  Yea, I voted for Halo.

Scott:  Scott’s wolverine looks somewhat confused to me, I think it’s the awkward arch to the eyebrow that looks questionable.  The face is nice but the outfit itself looks comic book and not portrait.  Kind looks like there’s a level missing to me…

Roland:  This is lacking outline, shape, design, placement; I cannot even tell you who this is… Kitty maybe… I don’t know but it’s rough.  For me it really went south somewhere in the creation of the awkwardly shaped mouth.  Yikes…

Sausage:  The tattoo is very close to professor X, however my major beef with it has got to be that one side of his face seems more set in and it lacks overall balance.

Matti:  You lost the wolverine off buddy, this thing is dark and when I say dark I mean, when this thing heals it’s still going to be massively dark.  It in a way looks way more cartoony than I originally was expecting.  Kind of let down Matti.

Kyle:  Kyle had beast and generally I liked it.  Was it an exact portrait? No, was it good enough to advance yes?

King Ruck:  Magneto here seems to be a mix of drawing and portrait, it’s just another middle of the road honestly.

Keith:  This Storm had better thank god that balance wasn’t the challenge because her cheek bone pulls away from any truly wonderful (which weren’t many) from this blown out tattoo.

Lydia:  Who the hell is this?  She just made an androgynous uni-browed wonder with a giant red x… This is sad.  Really… Just gut wrenching.

In a surprise they bring out their special guest judge, Hugh Jackman, which would have been cool… But, he picked a wolverine tattoo which I thought was a little cheap seeing as Halo clearly smacked this one out of the park.  Still the bottom consisted of Roland, Lydia and… honestly who really cares because between those two they were horrible.  In the end we finally dump Roland, which to be honest I’m totally okay with.  And with a so long until next week all I can say is thank god the whining was minimal, maybe next week we can focus back on doing good tattoos…   

No comments:

Post a Comment