Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Foxy and Co.: A SyFy channel first look!


Last night was the first look at “Foxy and Co.” a show featuring 4 past contestants of Face off who have come together in order to achieve special effects greatness, and have a few good times along the way.  The stars of the shows include Eric Fox, Nicole Chilelli, Rj Haddy, and Roy Wooley from various seasons of Face Off who all come to the table with a various assortment of skills and trades.  Just based on watching these 4 interact I already am pushing for this show to be a real thing!  They start the show by testing a melting face!  I mean seriously how do you top having your face melted off as an opening act?!

Well after a brief welcome to the effects studio the team goes through a checklist of projects that they have to get through for a Zombie project about Zach: The Zombie Exterminator which includes a zombie dog, a gigantic fat zombie suit, a pool skimmer zombie decapitation device and a blood spray system that leaks green ooze.  Yeah comparatively speaking, my job blows.  In addition to the Zombie order, Nicole is presenting an idea for a breast cancer superhero for the Susan G. Komen foundation.

This was very heart wrenching for me after my scare last year, and I know it’s unfair but Foxy would have gotten my vote for that alone.  Her sketches include a dress made from the survivor ribbon as well as beautiful red boots and a beauty makeup to kick cancers ass!  Needless to say, she gets the job and the excitement in me swells.

In preparation for the design of the superhero Nicole meets with a cancer survivor who explains that she has just finished another round of chemo after finding cancer a second time.  By this time in my house, I’m getting way too emotional… I’m a chick, it’s what we do.  Nicole decides to honor the young woman by making the wig of the superhero removable which I believe was daring but, totally necessary.  All women are beautiful, despite what life throws at you!

Nothing however could have prepped me for the reveal.  After a wardrobe malfunction they get it together in a flash and the photographer clicks away at a beautiful superhero that is ready to fight this evil.  That would have been, and trust me was enough, to make my eyes serge tears of joy if it hadn’t been for the wig coming off.  I lost my cool completely.  What she did with that character needs to be everywhere.  It was strong and inspiring, proving that any woman is more than the looks on the outside but is the sum of her strength, grace and poise!  Well done Nicole! Well Done!

Back in the studio RJ and Roy make me wish I had followed my dreams into makeup as they test out various ways to make gooey, runny zombie blood.  Life is so unfair isn’t it?!  More important however, is how this concoction is to be sprayed when the Zombies are being killed.  After several hilarious and I’m guessing delicious by watching RJ’s sampling, attempts they settle on a fire extinguisher.  Now what do you do with a fire extinguisher full of green goop?  Spray it all over your friends… duh.  As Foxy soon finds out, See why I’m jealous?

The next item on the list requires the whole three man team as they prep a bod casting of the actor who with play a junk yard Zombie of considerable size and wrinkle.  What I loved about this is that they really took you through what it takes to make a mold and why this business can get so complicated so quickly.  The mold itself seems to be the enemy in all things special-effectsy, from the trouble in trying to get the full body mold to the trouble of trying to free the mold, and after watching so many episodes of face off… it just seems like molds suck.  I could be wrong now, but that always seemed to be the biggest obstacle.

At a preview of the effects the team shows off the pool skimmer decapitation device.  This thing is wicked.  Roy truly went to the quirky killer place with this one.  The trigger activated saw uses the ring of the skimmer itself to slice through the zombies head.  Brilliant!  Next we have the dog and RJ is all too eager to please the client when he agrees to combine the dog with the Junk yard zombie owner.  What comes out is a zombie choking on a zombie dog that is trying to escape his owners gut.
Altogether a great show that I hope gets picked up.  Go to the voting page and let’s keep Foxy and Co. going because I think we all need a little laugh and more amazing art in our lives!  


Go here, vote for Foxy!

No comments:

Post a Comment