Monday, March 3, 2014

Free samples? Not always a good idea....


Some time ago I came across an add for fragrance samples from a company called Pinrose, https://www.pinrose.com/, all you had to do was take a small test and they would match you with 3 fragrances based on the personality questions.  I can honestly say I never turn down beauty samples, let alone ones that give me a fun little quiz.  So as I clicked away I started to notice that the answers were as stereotypical as they were broad or vague.  Not to worry the samples are completely free so I’ll excuse it.  What I think is somewhat patronizing is that the whole process of getting the three samples takes so long I had nearly forgotten that I had placed an order at all.



Still when the envelope came I had a spring of glee and optimism.  Truth be told, I really just love getting free samples in the mail.  The packaging is quite lovely actually, each sample wipe was sealed and pressed in pouches with the information about each sent and they even gave a little journal to record your thoughts about the samples you received.

In this package I received:


Sugar Bandit:  “Dish out toothaches and heartaches.  Vanilla, cedar wood, and white chocolate create the perfect combination of sweet and sexy.”  Crafted by “Master perfumer,” Harry Fremont, this sample smacked me right in the face with a sent that I could only describe as “soap-a-chino.”  The vanilla and white chocolate came on very strong but the cedar mixed in to have a weird finish that smelled of some kind of strange soap.  It reminded me of a pistachio body wash.  Thankfully they only linger around two hours, unfortunately the smell gets worse before it dissipates and in the end there is a wisp of sandalwood.  I love sandalwood as incense, not as a perfume.


Moonlight Gypsy:  “What do you wear to a party in the forest?  Create some mystery with the enchanting notes of cardamom, orange blossom and patchouli.”  Crafted by perfumer, Ilias  Ermenidis this sent was completely disgusting.  I put it on and immediately felt like a dirty hippie.  Within 5 minutes I was desperate to scrub it off; unfortunately for the beautiful lunch I was trying to enjoy the smell clouded the whole experience.  Bleh!


Pillowtalk Poet:  “Nothing to wear is the perfect excuse for spending all day in bed.  Slip into this fresh laundry mix of powder, ambergris, and musk.”  Crafted by “Master perfumer,” Vito Lenoci, this is probably the only sent that I could stand wearing.  Why? Because it smells like my fabric softener, floor deodorizer powder and air fresheners… I’m kind of a fan of fresh linen.

In the end, Pinrose, you were a lot of wait for nothing… I’m glad that’s all I paid. 

1 comment:

  1. I got 2 of the same scents as you and although the scents were terrible, I would never buy them. They didn't last more than an hour or so. And now they are charging $5 for the same kit we got for free.

    ReplyDelete