Monday, March 24, 2014

Running from zombies: A zombie run "black opts" recap


So, what do you do on your Sat night?  Me?  Well I spent mine running through a desert from brain hungry zombies... That's right I said zombies.  Last Saturday night, yours truly ran the Zombie Run: Black Opts 5k.  Now before we get into the details, that left me so sore that even as I am typing this two days later I hurt, let me explain what it was.


The Zombie run is a 5k obstacle course that includes over 15 obstacles produced by Human Movement Management out at the Acton Movie Ranch.  Let me tell you if you want desolate looking land scape, this track is perfect.  Located in Acton California, which is about 25 miles south of Lancaster is a hilly, sandy and altogether challenging bit of terrain the creators of this event filled, not only with climbing, stretching, and jumping obstacles but also with about 200 zombies.


The point of the Extreme Zombie run is simple, for the price of admission you are given a belt with flag football flags and given the chance to run through this gauntlet of fear as the Zombies attempt to take your flags.  Along your trek you will meet with repelling, rope walls, water slides, steep climbs, soft sand and worst of all mud.  What made the black opts so much more fun?  It's at night and it's pitch black!  Shit is crazy!


Now as for the zombies themselves, I think for what they have to work with they are pretty cool looking actually and most of them clearly committed to the brain feasting.  May be a little two much as a lot of the runners claimed to have been grabbed, but guys we are in a zombie apocalypse...  I found most of them to be fun and willing to make this run really worth it for all skill levels.  :).


The obstacles on the other hand were not for everyone.  I for one am not very athletically inclined but I do think you need to try, always try first.  There was a way around most of the obstacles, and in my opinion that might be a little harder than the obstacle.  I did wuss out of quite a few as many did involve feats of upper body strength that I am not currently capable of currently, but it just gives me more of a reason to keep trying.


This year, the team consisted of myself, my sister and her boyfriend, all of us are varying levels of fitness and drive.  Yes, I'm the lowest :P.  But, if all of us can agree that we wanted to do it again next year than Human Movement must be doing something right.  I personally think it was the awesome swag which included a tee shirt, back pack, glowing "human bracelet" and a metal for finishing the run whether you had flags or not.  True it's a little everyone gets a trophy, but at the end of the race like that everyone deserves a damn trophy!  We will be back next year zombie run!







Zombie run website


 

No comments:

Post a Comment