Monday, March 17, 2014

Lord help the sister: A Once Upon a Time review

Toto, I don’t think we are in a plot line that makes sense anymore. So, last week on Once Upon a Time we were given a glimpse of the newest threat and curse to Storybrooke Maine, Oz’s very own “Wicked Witch.” Clearly our beloved writers are running out of viable options in the classics, but what made me really chuckle is that any Drop Dead Diva fan was probably busting a gut at the fact that the witch is played by Lady Robin, a Dominatrix who made a one episode appearance. Got to love when you recognize small parts from different shows. In addition to the forgetting, people seem to be also disappearing which has set in a panic.

The obsticale this week is getting into the Queen’s captured castle in the enchanted forest as in the real world the cursed Queen tries to deal with Henry’s lack of recognition and a desperate attempt to find out what has happened. Needless to say everyone believes she has something to do with the “lost year” save the “charming family.” This broken form of Regina’s is actually upsetting to me, I have a soft spot for mothers being a single mother myself. I don’t think you can understand her raw performance without putting your heart into your child and having them walk away from you. I have problems being away from my son for longer than a day, a year… or a lifetime would kill me.

With Robin Hood in tow, Regina attempts to enter the castle through a system of under ground tunnels. It’s here that we learn that the death of Marion was Robin’s fault and that he is also dealing with serious losses but, Regina’s martyer complex keeps her from really seeing his comfort. The that man looks, I’d let him comfort me… maybe a few times. The other side of that, however people who think that you should just move forward and live for something else annoys me. I’m a griever, I need to be able to wallow sometimes and the plucky little “pick yourself up” speeches always seem to make me want to retreat further. Aparently, I share this trait with Regina who decides that she wants to put herself under a sleeping curse because being in hell is better than feeling the loss of know you can never hold your child.

In the real world, Emma and Regina make an aliance at first to recreate the memory potion that Hook had. When this is drastically unsuccessful, they move to a ruse in order to smoke out the curse caster who is going around posing as a mid wife in order to get closer to Snow. Meanwhile in the tradition of Storybrooke, we find that this time when you leave the city line you are swept up by flying monkies. Seriously, why would you even try leaving anymore? Something bad always happens… In this instance you don’t just get attacked by a flying simian, you may even turn into one as was demonstraighted bythe lovely “Little John.”

The chemistry between Robin and the Queen is seriously delicious. I can’t even believe it. I think it’s because the way she talks to him is how I treat men that I like, could you imagine what I do to the douche caps I hate… I think it is the common grief they feel that makes them play off each other so well. Then again, if you ever want to see sparks between two people, have a serious exchange between powerful witches. From the moment they meet Regina and the Witch are practically throwing daggers at each other, and it isn’t long before we find out why, they are half sisters.

So, here’s where I think this is going. I’m seeing that yes they are sisters, both daughters of Cora, but who is the witches father. She has revealed that she knows of Rumplestiltskin, and Cora did have a contract. I know that she did try to screw him out of a baby… But, what if? What if she is his illegitimate daughter with Cora and he took her to Oz in his traveling of the realms. Perhaps, he is the wizard of Oz! That would make Neil her half brother… Then again we don’t even know where Neil is at the moment. It almost feels like this episode has more questions than answers, we still don’t know what the base of this curse is, and what it is meant for, we don’t know how to break it, we don’t know what the witch truly wants aside from destroying Regina, or even what’s happened in the past year.

In the end we get a few little morsels of foreshadowing, information, and joy. Regina decides she wants to stay awake finding a will to live in the desire to destroy her half sister. Although, I think that hair pin with the poison on it will come back to haunt her… And most shocking of all is the return of Rumple although I believe that whatever was of gold in him has now been eaten away by a serious case of madness. It’s nice to see my favorite creeper but, if I’m going to be honest I demand more Robin Hood!

No comments:

Post a Comment